Most systems are designed to be used by people. Designing systems in a way that they become truly helpful for those who interact with them has been my favourite and most challenging task in the last years.
Here are the core principles I try to apply:
- Tools shall be unobtrusive
- No Bullshit Metrics™ – because they are just a game
- Balance simplicity and flexibility
- Creating data has no inherent value, it’s all about using it in a clever way
- Use algorithms for the complicated things and humans to deal with complexity
- Create room for mastery
Basically, I crave for excellence, for my users, my clients, fellow developers and myself, because we ain’t no monkeys!
Would like to hear more about that? Get in touch!